By Jean-Jacques Lecercle
The aim of this ebook is to offer an actual aspiring to the formulation: English is the language of imperialism. knowing that assertion comprises a critique of the dominant perspectives of language, either within the box of linguistics (the e-book has a bankruptcy criticising Chomsky’s learn programme) and of the philosophy of language (the publication has a bankruptcy assessing Habermas’s philosophy of communicative action).
The publication goals at developing a Marxist philosophy of language, embodying a view of language as a social, historic, fabric and political phenomenon. due to the fact that there hasn't ever been a powerful culture of wondering language in Marxism, the publication presents an summary of the query of Marxism in language (from Stalin’s pamphlet to Voloshinov's booklet, taking in an essay by way of Pasolini), and it seeks to build a couple of recommendations for a Marxist philosophy of language.
The e-book belongs to the culture of Marxist critique of dominant ideologies. it's going to be fairly valuable to people who, within the fields of language learn, literature and communique reports, have determined that language isn't really only an tool of communique.
Read or Download A Marxist Philosophy of Language (Historical Materialism Book Series, Volume 12) PDF
Best marxism books
Marx, Lenin, and the progressive event deals a clean examine Communism, either the undesirable and strong, and in addition touches on anarchism, Christian concept, conservatism, liberalism, Marxism, and extra, to argue for the long-lasting relevance of Karl Marx, and V. I. Lenin as democratic revolutionaries. It examines the "Red Decade" of the Thirties and the civil rights flow and the recent Left of the Sixties within the usa besides.
In 2008 the capitalist global used to be swept through the severest trouble because the nice melancholy of the Thirties. Mainstream economics neither expected nor may perhaps account for this disastrous monetary difficulty, which required substantial country intervention through the capitalist global. Karl Marx did expect this sort of monetary cave in, arguing that it was once by-product from the ‘fetishism of commodities’ inherent within the capitalist mode of construction. This booklet substantiates the foregoing declare via a trip from Marx’s research of commodities to the capitalist quandary of the twenty-first century.
The booklet demonstrates that Marx's framework (1) demonstrates that capitalism is yet one ancient type of classification society between many; (2) explains the transition from pre-capitalist to capitalist society; (3) unearths the concrete operation of a capitalist economic system; and (4) exhibits why others could clarify the capitalist economic system in replacement theoretical frameworks. The vital aspect in his framework from which all else derives is ‘the idea of value’. This publication isn't an workout within the heritage of notion. it's an try and examine the character of latest capitalist society. whereas Marx’s research of capitalism has implications for political motion, those needn't lead one to embody revolution rather than reform, notwithstanding it could and has supplied the analytical starting place for either. Marx’s research of capitalism is a coherent entire, and significant insights can't be received via extracting components from it.
Weeks begins out via taking a look at the character of capitalism and an research flow, funds and credits spread from the idea of price. the character and inherent necessity of festival are validated in bankruptcy 8. A outcome of festival, expressed within the move of capital, is technical swap, the contradictory effect of that is defined in bankruptcy 9. this is often introduced including the opposite parts of price concept (money, credits and pageant) in bankruptcy ten, the place monetary crises are taken care of intimately. the ultimate bankruptcy applies the speculation of challenge to the extraordinary monetary disturbances of the 2000s.
This publication can be of curiosity to scholars and researchers of economics, politics and sociology.
Within the a hundred and forty four years seeing that Karl Marx's Das Kapital used to be released, the doctrine that bears his identify has been embraced by way of hundreds of thousands within the identify of equality, and simply as dramatically has fallen from grace with the retreat of communism from the western global. yet because the unfastened industry reaches its severe limits within the monetary and environmental fallout, a reassessment of capitalism's so much lively and eloquent enemy hasn't ever been extra well timed.
The individuals to The Anomie of the Earth discover the convergences and resonances among Autonomist Marxism and decolonial pondering. In discussing and rejecting Carl Schmitt's formula of the nomos—a conceptualization of worldwide order in line with the Western tenets of legislation and property—the authors query the belief of common political topics and glance in the direction of politics of the commons divorced from ecu notions of sovereignty.
- An Unfinished Revolution: Karl Marx and Abraham Lincoln
- Eleanor Marx, Volume 2: The Crowded Years, 1884-98
- Engels: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
- Knowledge and Class: A Marxian Critique of Political Economy
- The Postcolonial Gramsci (Routledge Research in Postcolonial Literatures)
- Say it Loud!: Marxism and the Fight Against Racism
Additional info for A Marxist Philosophy of Language (Historical Materialism Book Series, Volume 12)
347. 32 • Chapter Two written English and an elevated register than it does spoken English (the same grammar states that it is met with twice as often in academic texts and novels as in conversation and the news). It would appear to have the ﬁxity sought by Chomsky. To see that this is an illusion, it sufﬁces to compare it with a similar construction, but with far more occurrences (4,700 per million words) – the reﬂexive construction (in English, pronouns ending in ‘-self’; French uses the pronoun se – il s’est regardé dans la glace [he looked at himself in the mirror] – or pronouns composed with même – il s’est blessé lui-même [he wounded himself]).
35. Chomsky 2000, p. 120. 12 Thus, the ball is ‘behind’ the rock (which, unlike a car, obviously has no front or back) because the rock is between my body and the ball. It is the outside of the house that is painted brown because I perceive the house from the outside, as a uniﬁed object, before entering it. The only universal feature we are dealing with here is the experience of bodily orientation. We can take our critique further. For Chomsky’s thesis is not even adapted to the detail of linguistic phenomena.
In his philosophy course for scientists,19 Althusser proposes a theory of philosophy, a theory of science, a theory of ideology in general, and a theory of what he calls the spontaneous philosophy of scientists (SPS). Philosophy is not science: it has no object, operates by means of categories rather than concepts, and its function is to intervene in a scientiﬁc conjuncture (a state of relations between science and ideology) to trace lines of demarcation. Its characteristic mode of expression is the formulation of theses, which compose a system.